The Long Story, Short is the home for tales that take their time.
The new fiction editors for this submission period beginning September 2016 (for stories to be published in 2017) are Hennessy award winning Madeleine D'Arcy (author of Waiting for the Bullet) and Jamie O'Connell, author of Some Sort of Beauty.
Short Story Guidelines
1. Stories should be over 4000 words long, although a few hundred words less is welcome. There is no upper word limit, so long as the author considers the work a short story. A maximum of two stories at a time will be considered. Please do not re-submit work previously declined by The Long Story, Short, or work that has been published elsewhere in either audio or print.
2. Please include a brief biographical note and a word count within the body of your email. A summary/description of the story is not necessary.
3. The Long Story, Short is a literary journal for short stories only. Please do NOT send chapters from novels, novellas, or other work that is not a short story in form. Stories for children are not in the scope of this journal. Translations are accepted. Genre fiction will only be considered should it have very strong literary merit.
4. At this time we regret that we cannot pay contributors. Donations, no matter how small, are welcome to help fund web-hosting of The Long Story, Short so we can continue to publish work which is longer than what is found in many conventional publications.
5. The editor will endeavor to respond to writers within 4 months from the date the story was received. If there is a delay in the decision making process, the editor will contact you directly. Unfortunately, she cannot make comments on individual submissions. Submissions are now only accepted during one reading period each year: from 1 September to 31 October.
6. The Long Story, Short will publish one story per month only. If your submission is unsuccessful, please do try again in future. Remember, readers make the best writers.
7. Stories must be sent in a document attached to an email (NOT pasted into the body of an email). No PDFs please. Send to longstoryshortjournal(AT)gmail(DOT)com .
View an article in Short Stops by editor Jennifer Matthews about which kinds of stories are accepted for publication at the Long Story, Short Journal: http://shortstops.info/2014/04/17/submissions-long-story-short-journal/
1. The Long Story, Short is seeking artwork to publish monthly with the short story selection. Line drawings, paintings and photographs are all welcome.
2. Please send a maximum of six images in jpg files only. Images should ideally have a resolution of 300 dpi.
3. At this time we cannot pay contributors. Donations, no matter how small, are welcome to help fund web-hosting of The Long Story, Short.
4. The editor will endeavor to respond to within 8 weeks from the date work is submitted. Unfortunately, we cannot make comments on individual submissions. Submissions are welcome at any time. A limited submission period may be introduced in future.
5. The Long Story, Short will publish one image per month only. If your submission is unsuccessful, please do try again in future.
6. Images must be sent in a attached to an email (NOT pasted into the body of an email or a word document). Jpg files only. Send to longstoryshort(AT)gmail(DOT)com .